Yes, it often arrives later than we wish, but when the spring season appears on Cape Cod it’s an exciting time for all of us. We get to leave our windows open for some fresh air…escape our indoors hibernation…and embrace the return of the sun!
It can become so easy to get caught up in the fever of leaving the house with light layers that we forget spring comes with responsibilities along with its blessings. So one day this month — perhaps when rain ruins your plans for a gardening day — make it a point to take care of this checklist so you can join in the euphoria of perfect weather when it comes.
1. If your home has a “circulating air” heating or air conditioning system, switch your air filter. It really is important. Switching the filter keeps your air clean; which in turn will keep you and your family healthy. This is especially important if you have allergies or are irritated by dust and pollen. Not to mention, a new filter will allow your system to run more efficiently — which will save you money in the long run.
2. Don’t have an air cleaner in your system? Call us. There are some excellent air filtration and purifying systems available these days. Remember, a Robies consultation is always without charge.
3. Schedule an air conditioning tune-up. It may not seem like a priority when the heating system is still running, but this could be the best decision you’ll make all year. Setting up an appointment with Robies before the summer rush will ensure that your system is running optimally in late spring as well as summer. There’s nothing worse than a sticky day without air conditioning!
4. With a change of seasons comes a change in the temperature swings inside your home, as well. Now that you don’t have to cope with the frigid bite of winter, make a point to adjust your thermostat settings. A “smart” thermostat (available from Robies) will keep the temperature exactly where you want it — with significant savings to your energy bills.
5. For many homes, the best way to both save money and keep the inside air as fresh as it can be is to seal those metal ducts that run throughout your home. They can be a leading cause of air contaminants. Robies has a new division, Cape Cod Aeroseal, where ductwork is sealed from the inside. The New York Times calls it the most effective energy improvement a homeowner can make. Call us today to ask for more information.
Spring is the best time of year to start fresh. All of us at Robies stand ready to answer your questions about your HVAC system and to tend to it with care. Happy spring to you, your family and your friends!